WELCOME TO MINYIP
Minyip is celebrated for being the place where the Flying Doctors television series was made and to this day the series is still very popular all over the world. Buildings and locations used for filming the Flying Doctors are still identifiable and many visitors still stopover in Minyip for this very reason. Aboriginal for “Ashes”, Minyip had its early origins as part of a squatter’s “run” until the township was established in the early 1870’s and the sale of town blocks in 1875 attracted ex-miners and many South Australian farmers to the district.
The Minyip Wetlands is a recent development and includes a Caravan Park, walking tracks, outdoor fitness equipment, playground, BBQ facilities and ponds for fishing. For those interested in genealogy and history, the Minyip Cemetery located to the eat of town reflects the German influence in Minyips early days.
Classified by the National Trust in 1974, the church features a striking octagonal belfry and houses a magnificent Fuller pipe organ. The whole structure with organ in situ was moved to its present site in 1935 from Kirchheim, south-west of Minyip, where it was originally built in 1889. The organ can be played by request with sufficient notice.
There is no shortage of historical buildings in this township with many good examples of early country Victorian architecture. The two hotels, although being built in the same era, are strikingly different in their architecture, one Gothic and the other Federation style. Each building displays a plaque that details the original use and history of the structure.
Stroll down memory lane and visit many of the buildings such as the Royal Flying Doctor Service Base, Emma’s Garage, Coopers Crossing Memorial Hall and the Majestic Hotel that all featured prominently in many episodes from the long running television series ‘The Flying Doctors’.
Minyip is known for its many brilliant sunsets and are sure to create a lasting impression.