Welcome to Charlton
Charlton is located in North Central Victoria on the Calder Highway midway between Melbourne and Mildura. It is situated in the valley of the Avoca River in the last of the foothills of the Victorian highlands. Charlton is the ‘Hub' for the surrounding communities being centrally located and providing easy access for day trips to the surrounding towns of Donald and Wycheproof. Charlton welcomes visitors to the town and invites all to stay a while and enjoy the river's natural beauty, our heritage style buildings and the town's friendly hospitality.
Enjoy the tranquility of the Wooroonook Lakes located 14 km west of the town on the Borung Highway. The lakes have powered sites, a toilet block and playground.
The Charlton Weir located 1 km to the north of the town provides water in the river for fishing, canoeing or just a relaxing walk along the banks of the River. The River frontage through Charlton Park is a natural wonderland of serenity and beauty, its river red gum and native bird life are probably Charlton's best kept secret.
Charlton Cemetery, 2km from town, on the Borung Highway offers an opportunity to research early settlers. A comprehensive list of internments is listed at the Cemetery's entrance.
The Travellers' Rest complex, situated on the Avoca River in the centre of town, provides excellent toilet facilities, a children's playground, picturesque picnic area with ample parking for cars, caravans and coaches and eight self contained caravan sites. Here you will also find river heights of Charlton's worst floods recorded beside the viewing platform.
Walk through the Travellers' Rest, across the swing bridge to Gordon Park which contains another playground, the Charlton Swimming Pool and a statue of a swagman, carved by chain saw artist Kevin Gilders from a stump of a pine tree.
Take time to inspect the bust of John Curtin, Australia's war time Prime Minister, and listen to the audio of his association with Charlton. As a school boy, Curtin attended the Charlton State School when his father was proprietor of the Golden Fleece Hotel.
View the "Big Fish" a memento of the 2006 Commonwealth Games and the Premier Harvester manufactured at the Charlton Foundry in the early 1900's. The fish is a Kenya Broadbill Swordfish.
Charlton's Museum is situated at the west end of High Street in the Elliott Gardens, named in honour of a renowned officer of the Boer War and World War 1, Major General H. E. Elliott, who was born and raised at West Charlton. The Museum holds a comprehensive display of local historic photographs, documents and memorabilia and is open by request by phoning 03 5491 1359, 03 5491 1620, 03 5491 1244 or 03 5491 1636.
Information plaques have been attached to Charlton's historic shops and public buildings and a guided walk brochure is available at the museum and the Information Centre. A mural depicting our local history is displayed inside the Shire Hall and can be viewed by arrangement with the attendants at the Museum.
View the wood carvings at the new Catholic Church in Learmonth Street.