WELCOME TO RUPANYUP
First surveyed in 1873, the town located on Dunmunkle Creek was originally known as Lallat but by 1876 had become known as Rupanyup, Aboriginal word meaning “branch hanging over water”.
Jack Emmett Billabong and Rupanyup Memorial Park are recent additions to the attractions of the town with an artificial lake, surrounded by native trees and shrubs that have been constructed next to the highway at the northern end of town by the local Lions Club. The Memorial Park is located adjacent to the Jack Emmet Billabong and is the perfect setting to caravan or camp while exploring what the region has to offer.
Rupanyup is head quarters for the Wood’s Farming and Heritage Museum located on the Wimmera Highway. This amazing collection of stationary engines, tractors, tools, farm and household memorabilia is available for viewing by appointment. There is truly something for everyone so be sure to contact 0427 159 154 (any time) or 5385 5036 (evenings only) to enjoy an experience that will take you back in time.
Cust’s Store, in the middle of town, is an example of an old-style general store named after one of the first shops erected within the town.
The Old Four Mill located in Gibson St is an early and rare example of a portable mill of galvanized iron construction and is adjacent to the first reinforced concrete silos built in the southern hemisphere. These were designed by Sir John Monash and erected in 1909.
The Local RSL Hall in Cromie Street owns one of only 9 original scale models of the Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance.
For those interested in Architecture and Heritage, the Rupanyup Railway Station dates from 1890 and the Post Office, the Memorial Hall (a former cinema), the old CBA Bank and the Commercial Hotel all have their own special character. The Anglican Church (1912), Masonic Lodge (1918) and the heritage listed Primary School (1878) are other notable buildings. The local cemetery off Dyer Street also provides an insight into the early history of the district.